Welcome to Prinsep Street Presbyterian Church(PSPC), the oldest Presbyterian church in Singapore!
We are a multi-generational church that has experienced God’s faithfulness, which continues to this day. In response, we seek to worship God in truth and love – Proclaiming Salvation, Perfected in Christ.
We believe in God the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit as one God in three Persons.
We believe in Jesus Christ the Son of God, Head of the church, the Saviour and Redeemer of the world who died and rose again for our sins, and who shall be coming back in glory.
We believe in the Holy Spirit who dwells in all believers and sanctifies and empowers them for good works and holy living.
We believe in the Gospel which promises salvation and eternal life to all who truly repent and believe in Jesus Christ.
We embrace the Church of God throughout all ages and in all places as his Body of which our Presbyterian church is a member.
We accept the whole of the Bible as the true Word of God, inspired and holy, providing the supreme standard of faith and living.
The Malay Mission Chapel
Rev Benjamin Keasberry of the London Missionary Society (LMS) built the Malay Chapel on Prinsep Street, then known as Kampong Bencoolen, for outreach to the Malays.
A Church in Bukit Timah
Rev Keasberry, supported by the congregation of the Malay Chapel, collected funds to build a church at Bukit Timah, now known as Glory Presbyterian Church.
The Straits Chinese Church
The English Presbyterian Mission, under the leadership of Rev JAB Cook, purchased the Malay Chapel from the London Missionary Society. The Malay Chapel was renamed the Straits Chinese Church as its members were predominantly Straits Chinese. Worship services were carried out in Malay and English. The Chinese Christian Association was formed three years later.
A Home for Widows & Orphans
The Straits Chinese Church started to raise funds to build a new sanctuary. Three years later, a Widows’ and Orphans’ Home was built, with the ground floor being used as the headquarters for the Chinese Christian Association.
1st Company of the Boys’ Brigade
James Milner Fraser started the 1st Company of the Boys’ Brigade movement in Singapore. Song Ong Siang, who became the first Chinese Malayan to be knighted in 1936, laid the foundation stone for the new sanctuary which was completed in 1931.
The Japanese Occupation
During the Japanese Occupation, Rev Gibson and Rev Richards were interned as prisoners-of-war in Changi Prison until 1945. Rev Gibson later became one of the founding members of Trinity Theological College (TTC) which started in 1948.
Prinsep Street Presbyterian Church
The name of the church was changed to Prinsep Street Presbyterian Church by referendum.
Rev Richard Ng led a team to start an outreach ministry in Woodlands. A year later, another team started the tuition outreach at 25 Adam Road.
Merger and Independence
The Woodlands and Adam Road ministries merged to form the Woodlands-Adam Road Ministry (WARM). WARM, reconstituted as Adam Road Presbyterian Centre (ARPC), was granted the status of an independent congregation in 1997.
A National Monument
PSPC was gazetted as a National Monument and declared a historic site for being the birthplace of the Boys’ Brigade movement in Singapore.